"A Short History of the Girl Next Door" by Jared Reck, for one, this title has a LONG name but also this was NOT the fluffy contemporary goodness I had originally expected from this novel. This novel will make you cry!
This is a novel you should go into as blindly as possible in my opinion.
SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS
"Fifteen-year-old Matt Wainwright is in turmoil. He can’t tell his lifelong best friend, Tabby, how he really feels about her; his promising basketball skills are being overshadowed by his attitude on the court, and the only place he feels normal is in English class, where he can express his inner thoughts in quirky poems and essays. Matt is desperately hoping that Tabby will reciprocate his feelings; but then Tabby starts dating Liam Branson, senior basketball star, and an all-around great guy. Losing Tabby to Branson is bad enough; but, as Matt soon discovers, he’s close to losing everything that matters most to him."
REVIEW BY MOI
Lemme tell you, I genuinely thought this novel would be all fluff. It's generally what I expect based on the synopsis. I was wrong I'll admit that this novel broke my heart into many pieces. All this novel truly needed was a hug!
WHAT I LIKED-
- This novel was spectacular at getting me invested in the characters lives! By the end of the novel, I was in a way TOO invested in the characters! I didn't know I could get that invested in the characters.
- There was a true rollercoaster of emotions I felt while reading!
- This story really, I guess, brought the fact of unrequited love to life for me. I've never really experienced an unrequited love so I feel like that really made this novel heartbreaking for me.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE- (there wasn't much I didn't like to be honest)
- The beginning was slow, it felt uneventful and for maybe a short second, I thought about DNFing this novel. I can't stand slow beginnings in novels and I feel like that has shined through in my blog. It's mostly ADHD though so it's generally not actually against the novel-
- Realistically speaking, that was my only issue with the novel as a whole.
OVERALL RATING- Altogether, I enjoyed this story, it was very poignant and powerful in a sense. You could truly feel the characters emotions which really helped the novel as a whole! I'll be giving this a 4.5 out of 5 stars!
Thank you for reading! This novel was given to me by Blogging For Books for an honest, unbiased review.