WHAT DO BUFFALO BILL, JOHN F. KENNEDY, VINCE LOMBARDI, DOROTHY DAY, FULTON SHEEN, AND ANDY WARHOL HAVE IN COMMON?
They’re all Catholics who have shaped America. In this page-a-day history, 365 inspiring stories celebrate the historic contributions of American men and women shaped by their Catholic faith. From famous figures to lesser-known saints and sinners, The American Catholic Almanac tells the fascinating, funny, uplifting, and unlikely tales of Catholics’ influence on American history, culture, and politics. Spanning the scope of the Revolutionary War to Notre Dame football, this unique collection of stories highlights the transformative role of the Catholic Church in American public life over the last 400 years.
Did you know…
• The first immigrant to arrive in America via Ellis Island was a 15-year-old Irish Catholic girl?
• Al Capone’s tombstone reads “MY JESUS MERCY”?
• Andrew Jackson credited America’s victory in the Battle of New Orleans to the prayers of the Virgin Mary and the Ursuline Sisters?
• Five Franciscans died in sixteenth-century Georgia defending the Church’s teachings on marriage?
• Jack Kerouac died wanting to be known as a Catholic and not only as a beat poet?
• Catholic missionaries lived in Virginia 36 years before the English settled Jamestown?
While the extant of Catholicism to many in America is Notre Dame's football program, it has had an underlying presence in many of the major events that have shaped this country. Much to the pride, and surprise, of America's…Read Review
Some of the American Catholics may be familiar to you - Andrew Jackson, Al Capone. Many others - unfamiliar - helped shape United States history and the Catholic faith. Choose to read one story a day, or start from the beginning like i…Read Review
I love the history in this! As a Catholic who doesn't always make it to Mass like I should, this book is a great way to reconnect with my faith and learn a little something at the same time. It's entertaining and uplifting without…Read Review
I LOVE this book! I can not say enough about this wonderful gem of a book! Each days readings is short and sweet but packed full of information. I have learned so much already about Catholics who have shaped and changed the United States,…Read Review